Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

Goals for the New Year



















































If I actually hit publish on this post, then I will hold myself accountable for the goals that I am setting.  I have worked tirelessly to create a plan for the coming year and it is with utter determination and preparation that I approach this moment of truth.

First things first,  daily work.  Over the course of the past year, I have formed a somewhat regular schedule of duties to be completed on a weekly basis.  I plan to alter my current daily duties to form the following new schedule:

Monday
Mending, Handwork, Sewing

Tuesday
Yardwork/Gardenwork

Wednesday
Meal Planning

Thursday
Budget, Grocery Order, Blogging

Friday
Shopping & Errands

Saturday
Baking & Cooking

Sunday
Rest

I won't be able to fully fall into this new routine until we have settled into our new home.  There are still boxes to unpack and rooms to organize- but once everything has found a home, I feel confident that I can follow this routine with great ease!

Next comes monthly work.  I am following the lead of The Weekend Homesteader by Anna Hess.  These books (separate or available combined) are great for those of us that have set a goal of becoming more self-sufficient.  January's work is:

  1. Soil Test
  2. Get into the habit of baking bread.
  3. Become media conscious.  (Our family has decided to have a "lights out" candlelight reading time every night.  We read a devotion most nights, so we are going to add a chapter book to our time together.  We are beginning with Heidi.)
  4. Replace/purchase needed household items.  (This month I purchased this and this.  I plan to melt down our current beeswax candles that are worse for the wear and make new ones.  The butter crock is a great way to keep fresh butter on hand.)
  5. Make your own cleaning products.  I ordered this book to help me.
I have been researching Christian feasts and celebrations to keep our family connected to Christ throughout the year- not just at Christmas and Easter.  During the month of January, we will celebrate:

January 5
Twelfth Night

January 6
Epiphany

January 11
Baptism of Christ

January 12
Plough Monday

I am using the following sources to help me navigate this new territory:

The Catholic Home  (Even though we are not Catholic, this book is an excellent source for understanding the liturgical year and why we celebrate these occasions.  It is a beautifully written resource that I highly recommend.)

I am beginning this year with Jen Hatmaker's study The 7 Experiment:  Staging Your Own Mutiny Against Excess.  I have read this book twice and really look forward to working through the study.  The first week, which I plan to spend three months on, focuses on food.  I really want to make over our family's eating habits- ridding our pantry of packaged, processed foods and concentration on making more & buying less, eating whole & organic.  I am participating in 100 Days of Real Food's Cut Out Processed Foods in 14 Weeks Challenge.  I have also set a goal of reading two books this month:  Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and Food Rules by Michael Pollan.   These are two books that I already own but have not read.  With all the extra purchases this month, I thought it best to read books that I already have.  

I have set a goal to invite a minimum of one family over for dinner this month.  Our family is involved with three other couples- we call it "Supper Club"; we take turns hosting and meet every month.  My husband and I have also been having dinner with two other couples with grown children on a regular basis, which gives us the opportunity to have some adult time away from the kiddos.  Other than these two gatherings, I really want to get in the habit of inviting a new family over each month.  I formed a list- loosely based on the Christmas cards we received this year.  I am very excited about this challenge!

So, my goals are set and I am ready.  What are your plans for 2015?



No comments:

Post a Comment